A brief overview of pros and cons, and essential steps for successful switch of a job board website from HTTP to secure HTTPS.
Google announced “HTTPS as a ranking signal” some time back. However, migrating a job board to HTTPS has its implications. Mainly for a number of time consuming steps that are to be undertaken to change external links, configure redirects, etc. And a risk of something “going wrong” resulting in temporary decrease of current keyword rankings.
One is to make sure Google can index and serve job board site content under new URLs after site migration from HTTP to HTTPS. Here are some of the important steps that are not be missed:
– Set up 301-redirects from HTTP to HTTPS
– Update all pages “canonical” tags to their HTTPS versions
– Start gradually changing external incoming links to HTTPS
– Make sure all the 3rd-party scripts, plugins and images on site use HTTPS URLs
– Add SSL-site to Search Console
See also: Job Board SEO Guide