Job wrapping service FAQ
From Job Board Software Support
Job wrapping / spider software product website:
Which job sources to wrap
Please review our recommendations for selecting sources effectively:
What is the spider tool (job wrapping) designed for?
Job wrapping service: job spider navigates career website pages and collects jobs to re-post them to your job board.
How does spider extract jobs from Employer website?
Spider follows specific URLs pre-configured for navigation and saves full HTML pages’ sources.
Parsing module of the spider extracts job data from the HTML converting it to format used by your job board technology, so data becomes available to be posted to your job board job fields mapped.
As per screen shot above:
- Job ID on the Employers website should be put in “Job Ref” fields of your job board application.
- Location on Employer website contains State and City. Parsing Module is able to divide these parts and mark each of them as corresponding fields on your job board.
- Job Description: parsing module can separate full job description together with HTML tags on Employer's website and apply it in full view on your job board software.
Important: Spider technology is sensitive to changes of the links structure and HTML formatting of source sites. Any changes to those most probably results in spider being unable to parse data from the source site and might lead to other scraping issues. This usually involves spider settings reconfiguration.
Will the jobs spidered look the same as on the source site and as my other job adverts on destination job board?
Source job adverts might have slightly different paragraph / font formatting to destination board.
Job description is normally spidered as HTML (includes font / paragraph formatting). Destination advert formatting (HTML) normally is identical to source formatting unless cleaned up. But CSS / styles used on destination board can be different to ones sourced. I.e. headings on the source and destination might not look identical whilst the general formatting is preserved.
Plain text info / dropdown listings matched from source website (i.e. job title, employment type, location) will look identical to other job adverts published manually on your destination job board.
Job spider helps clean up source HTML via following options:
- Remove all HTML tags or keep only some of them (i.e. remove all except br, strong, div)
- Make conversion from HTML to plain text
- Replace specific HTML content
How can I sort jobs out on my website if I have predefined lists of states or categories?
Spider tool can match spidered keyword data with your lists / IDs.
As per screenshot above:
- Source website indicates Employment Type as “Full-Time”.
- Your job board has another naming of this item - “Permanent” which is the same as “Full time”. Job spider can be set up to match this data and sort out jobs on your job board in proper way.
- This means that all “Full-Time” jobs will be posted to “Permanent” section because these two terms are matched in spider settings.
Once the posting expires on Employer's website, is it automatically removed from my Job Board?
Yes, job spider can be set to "Synchronization" mode:
Job spider revisits jobs on Employer website and expires them on your job board once the jobs are removed from source website / URL.
What happens when candidate applies to spidered job?
Spider can be set up to save job or apply button URL.
As per your choice / job board application process:
- This URL can be used for candidate redirect to source website.
- If job URL is not available - generic Employer application URL can be used.
- Your job board application process can be utilized instead.
Are the applications saved / logged in job board database?
It is based on your job board software settings.
Default setting of JobMount job board software: applications are logged so a link to candidate profile is shown in Employer jobs management / “applications history” interface.
Will candidates be always redirected to specific job page on Employer website?
Candidates can be redirected to job (or job-specific application page) only if Employer website navigation / URL structure offers this data.
If source jobs are not located on unique URLs: candidates will be redirected to any default page specified (i.e. a job search form on employer website).
Will Employers get application notifications?
Based on your job board software setting.
Default setting of JobMount job board software: yes, Employers will get application notifications emailed to addresses specified in their profiles.
How often can spider revisit Employer website for job updates?
Spidering / posting sessions can be scheduled on hourly, daily or weekly basis. On specific week days and certain time of the day.
Can any website be spidered?
95% of career centers are technically spiderable.
Remaining 5% are the websites based on technology that blocks access for either jobs browsing or content retrieval. In this case alternative options can be considered (i.e. XML feed, CSV file, FTP access, etc).
Examples of source sites that are hard or impossible to configure initially:
- Source website Admin detects and blocks spider: agreement with site owner required
- Dynamic links or cookies based pages based on successfactors, sap, OA_HTML (some of these can't be spidered or take custom development to tune in)
- Vacancies in PDF format: can be spidered when job PDF files are not protected by PDF security restrictions and are uniform. Normally takes extra configuration effort
- HTTPS site with incorrect certificate
- Flash based website (cannot be spidered)
How do I set up spider for my JobMount job board software?
Spider auto-posts jobs to your JobMount job board via Job spider xml interface for bulk posting.
Career websites set up (scraping configuration, parsing, matching and posting) is performed by JobMount team and does not require any effort your end.
You will need to provide a list of URLs to Employers’ websites & data matching instructions only.
How do I set up spider for my 3rd party software?
Job spider can post jobs via existing bulk posting interface available on your job board (i.e. Broadbean, Idibu)
Alternative options for job posting to 3rd party
Custom posting options can be mapped for target job boards having no standard XML via HTTP interface.
Client target job board can have:
- unique XML or CSV format mapped (based on target job board database settings),
- posting organized via FTP/sFTP, email send, grab XML from our location.
See full description on Job Spider Auto Posting Options